Over time, Plant City parking lot paving can get damaged because of erosion and extreme weather conditions. It can also be damaged by tree roots and heavy loads, among others. Though it is often durable and lasts for a very long time compared with its other competition in the market, asphalt is still susceptible to damage because of environmental issues.
Once of the most common signs of damage on an asphalt pavement is a hole, may it be tiny or large. When you notice a hole in your pavement, it is best to call the professionals to repair it because it could only worsen in the long run. Here is how the process usually happens:
- Using an abrasive masonry blade, cut the space around the hole to create a clean edge. This will make it easier to fill with asphalt mix later on. Once it dries out, it will blend well with the current surface because of the clean edge.
- Get a shovel or anything you have that could scoop out the dirt and the loose soil from the hole. This is an important step because dirt could only weaken the mixture you’re about to put in the next step.
- When the hole is near the edge of the pavement, put a cardboard that is even with the edge to hold the asphalt mixture in place while it sets in. It doesn’t necessarily have to be a cardboard, any hard and durable material will do good, as long as you can remove it afterwards.
- Using a shovel, pour crushed limestones and gravel into the hole to act as the sub-base layer for the asphalt mixture. You need to make sure that the limestones and gravel are tamped down to the very base of the hole.
- Pour the asphalt repair material. The product can be purchased in any hardware store, though most contractors have their own mix that they use to repair such asphalt pavement holes and cracks. Ask the contractor what kind of mix they use, so you are sure this is a quality mix they’re putting on your pavement.
- Tamp down on the asphalt material, making sure not to put too much pressure or else, cracks will begin to appear again.
Until it’s dry, cover the area with plywood, so people and cars won’t accidentally drive or step over it. Make sure to put a warning sign, too, so that they are aware.